Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waldo1_gw

Downspout water to garden? How?

waldo1
13 years ago

Our screened-in porch is 20 feet from the foundation so, luckily, water seeping into the foundation is not the problem.

However, there is a 4 foot eave extending over the porch so the area below the porch gets virtually no rain. There's a downspout at one corner from which I would like to rig some sort of pipe or tube to bring the water along the 16 foot length of the porch. I'm thinking if I could drill small holes in the pipe or tube, water would seep out as it travels the length of the tube. The area is completely flat so I'm thinking I need at least a slight elevation for the water to get to the end of the distance (maybe not a problem in heavy rain; light rain the water will probably sit there if the pipe is flat.)

The main issues (there are probably others I haven't thought of) are what kind of pipe or tube; and how to connect them to the downspout. I've got a 20 ft length of that flat hose with holes (soaker hose?), but can't figure out how to attach it to the downspout.

Anyone ever tried to rig something like this up? Does it sound remotely doable? Thanks for any hints or suggestions. Every time it rains, I think what a waste I can't get it to this area under the eaves. I don't mind watering during the occasional dry spell but this area would require constant watering.

Comments (10)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

W,

Yes can be done. How often does it rain? Will help with ideas if you want. You will have to describe your downspout in detail. Aloha

• waldo1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just saw your reply. Will follow with details soon. Thank you.

• waldo1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought I posted a follow-up yesterday, but I don't see it here. In any event, I decided to get a rain barrel, attached a flexible extender to the downspout into the barrel, attached a soaker hose to the faucet, opened it, now awaiting first rain to see if there's enough pressure for the hose. I don't intend to store water; I just want what comes off the roof to get to the spot under the eaves like the rest of my "under the sky" gardens get. I'd post a photo but don't see any way to do that. Wish me luck!

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Waldo,

Let us know how it flows. I have some simple ideas if it doesn't work out. Aloha

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

I'd be interested to hear how you make out-- I'm trying a similar thing. I'm irrigating a similar sized area, and have a soda drum rain barrel, so I think that's 55 gal. I didn't have luck with irrigation tubing fitted with low-flow emitters, so, this season, I will try a soaker hose. From seeing the amount of pressure I got with my barrel on the ground, my gut says you need to elevate the barrel a couple of feet, unless your barrel is significantly bigger than mine. (But, like I said, I haven't tried the soaker hose yet).

• twolips
    13 years ago

Not sure how much luck you will have with regular soaker hose, as it needs about 10 psi to work. But you could use rain barrel soaker hose.
    Just a thought, good luck and let us know how it goes.

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

I wasn't really clear on the different kind of soaker hoses. I was imagining a garden hose with holes drilled in.

Waldo1, I found this interesting: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/msg0507442422310.html

I think I've got some quarter inch tubing and the adapter to connect it leftover from my last experiment, so I will drill some holes in it and see if that works any better than the emitters.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Jessie,

Drill 1/16" holes to start with and see if the water gets to the end of the line. The gradually drill slightly larger hole to get even distribution from the farthest end. trial and error on this one. If you are lucky to have a slight slope away from the barrel the holes can be all the same size. JMHO aloha

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

Lehua, wanted to come back and thank you for the advice! I set up my tubing today with 1/16" holes, and it's looking really promising.

• k2marsh
    12 years ago

I understand that there is a pressure valve in the hose where it connects to the spicket. It needs to be taken out for low pressure. I don't have one.

Rain barrels are used to keep water from the foundation of the house. You can open the valve and let the water out before the next rain.

My Rain Barrels. Click the link below.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: My Rain Barrels