Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmurph31

Nelson Brand Equipment

jmurph31
15 years ago

I received a price quote on an irrigation system to be installed for my yard. The equipment the contractor is using is Nelson 6000 series gear drive sprinklers, 6400 series spray heads and a Nelson EZ pro jr controller. I have heard of Hunter before and was wondering if Nelson is comparable or better? There is a 5 year warranty on the Nelson heads and the installer warranties the controller for 5 yrs as well. My neighbor used this contractor and this equipment and seems happy but wanted some other opinions. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

jmurphy,

It is not a company I have heard much about. They are from Alabama. Hunter recently bought an irrigation line from them so they must be professional level. Have the contractor give you quotes from other suppliers. The price differential should tell you something. Get more than one contractor to give a quote will tell you even more. Warranties are tricky things. Anytime you need a repair or adjustment you have to call the contractor who will tell you it is not a manufacturers defect and need to charge you. Most problems will stem from causes other than a factory defect. Let us know the different quotes so others can learn from your experience. Thanks and aloha.

• mikie_gw
    15 years ago

fwiw;
    I installed a new pump and sprinkler system with nelson popup impulse heads in a home I bought in 78 and sold in 89... never replaced a single head... had to clean out roots occasionally.

• verdure1
    15 years ago

I've used nelson valves for 20 years in the greenhouse ranges. Have about 275. Occasionally replace a solenoid, that's about it. You'll like the ez-pro jr - I put in a couple last year- love em. My only complaint is the controller housing is not sunlight resistant - you must mount the controller indoors or it turns yellow and brittle.

• jmurph31
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had another contractor out to look at my property today I will post what his quote was when I get it. He is using all different equipment (hunter heads, irritrol valves, hunter controller. Thank you all for your responses. Verdure 1 thanks for the comments on the controller. It will be mounted in the basement or the garage so the uv rays should not be a factor.

• sonny31
    14 years ago

I have a Nelson sprinkler system controller #8425 and the LED screen is out. Can I use another Nelson controller model in it's place that will operate the system without having to change other parts?

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Hi Sonny,

Is this a modular system? What other parts do you have in mind? Are you talking about the controller only as a system or the entire irrigation system of which the controller is a part? Aloha