Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purdue_gw

Bio-Wall Irrigation System

Purdue
12 years ago

I am trying to design a "drip irrigation system" for an indoor bio-wall. Basically, this is a vertical garden that will be integrated with the HVAC system in a home. This wall will be about 6 feet tall and 2.5 feet wide. A soilless growth medium will be used to grow the plants and will require to be kept moist at all times.

The irrigation system will involve recirculated water pumped up from a water basin to the top of the wall. I am planning on using an emitter every 2" at the top of the wall, for a total of 15 emitters (30" @ 2"OC). Most emitters that I am finding are requiring 10-20psi minimum to operate. This would either require a pump with enormous shaft head or two pumps running in series. (One to provide the head to bring it to the top of the wall and one to create the pressure within the tubing.)

Are there any ways that I can create a system like this that won't require such high pressure? The biggest problem is that I am not able to find a pump that can operate efficiently (the pump will be running 24 hours a day) at such a low flow rate. (0.5gpm)

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)