Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to drip system need advice!

Posted by James-hoon Z9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 1:03

I just update some of my sprinkler system to drip system for my tropical fruit tree, but I'm not sure if this the right way. Assume I want to give my plant 15 gallon per week on regular basic, so I installed 7 emitters rate @ 2 gph on 1/2 tube line, and will run it 30 minutes twice a week. Now my soil is kind of clay so to run all 30 mins would create I lot of water run off, to avoid this problem I have to cycle it 3 times @ 10 mins every 45 mins to let all water remaining around basin to absorb down. Is this the right way to do, am I water too much or too often? Btw these plant are newly transplant in ground this early spring and I live in south California in Moreno valley where the day time can get pretty hot some time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to drip system need advice!

J-H,

You might not want to worry about calculating the amount of water but watch what is happening to the soil around your trees as you apply the water. Ask at the fruit tree(papaya?) forum and find out what they think your trees need in the way of water. Maybe start with about a 0.5 gal/2 days per plant and when it gets hot go up to 1.0 g/ 2 days per plant. The main thing is to watch how the water spreads into the soil and if the trees looked stressed from too little water or too much. Newly transplanted trees need to be kept moist but not soaked every day for a couple of weeks. JMHO Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here