Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamey9695

New well pump failed, Need advise

jamey9695
12 years ago

Looking for some advise here,

Last August I bought a 4" Submersible well pump off of Ebay for a new irrigation system I was installing. The pump was manufactured by a company called Norton, it is 220v 1-1/2hp 25gpm, and cost me $437. Local suppliers wanted well over $1000 for something comparable. The pump was suspended 40' deep in a clean water well, and it was installed with a tank and pressure switch. I designed the system properly so when the sprinklers were on, the pressure would hold at 60psi, and the pump would not cycle, as the switch was set at 50-70psi. Anyway, I finished the system this spring, and everything worked perfectly. I was impressed with the pump, until the motor went bad. It will run for about 10 seconds, build up a very small amount of pressure, and kick the breaker. I pulled the pump, seperated the motor from the pump, and the same thing happens, runs for about 10 seconds, kicks the breaker, and the motor is very hot.

Anyway, I suppose that is what I get for buying a pump off Ebay from a company that I never heard of before, but the seller had perfect feedback, and still does today even though he is no longer active. I sent an email to the company inquiring about a warrenty, but I doubt I will here back, so my questions are:

1. Can this pump motor be repaired? Is it worth taking apart? A Franklin replacement motor is $415

2. I found 2 other pumps under the $500 range that will work with my system. First is the Franklin J-Class V 1HP 20GPM for $500

http://www.franklin-electric.com/res.../series-v.aspx

, second is a Goulds 18GS10 1HP 18GPM for $594

Does anyone here have any feedback with these 2 pumps?

3. Right now I am running a 220v 2 wire pump, should I switch to 3 wire?

Thanks for reading my long post, any info greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)

• jamey9695
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nevermind,
    I took the motor apart and it was full of water like a seal went bad. Never heard back from the seller or manufacturer. Ive decided to either replace the motor with a Franklin, or replace the whole pump with a good one from a reputable dealer.
    Lesson learned, beware of cheap ebay knockoffs. The pump looks nice, but it is essentially a $430 paper weight now.

• Arcticcat781
    12 years ago

Do yourself a favor,I was quoted at 350 for a 3/4 or 1hp Goulds pump i forget which. Im a Service Tech. Every one of our well guys uses goulds. I put a well in last year too. im only 13ft down,live right near the ocean,and have a literal river running about 10 ft down. I was so excited to get water with the pitcher pump after never doing anything with pumps in my life.i ran out and i bought a utilitech pump at lowes. It works great.I know you probably wont pay 350 but not to to much more. Goulds are the best pumps out there IMO,and all our pro pump guys too.
    Im not a pump guy,i know how to prime them and troubleshoot. if you have any questions about your irrigation though. POST HERE and ill help u out with anything i can. i love talking irrigation lol. if you get a no name like i did.nobody can really help you with them.Goulds are tested and participate in shows,research.and have actual stats pros can interprit. Just figure out your Gallon Per MIN,and what the pump puts out and youll be good to go.you can always just increase or decrease nozzle sizes so it doesnt cycle. good job though doing all that though if your not in the field.

• richandclaire
    12 years ago

Articcat781,
    I'm a new comer to irrigation and am planning on installing a system at my house on long island. I have a buddy who has a drill rig and will put the well in for me to a depth of 25 feet at no charge. He says that I will have water forever. However, I don't know what to do after he establishes the well. Do i need a sperate holding tank or will just a submersible pump be sufficient to supply water to the 7 zones that i will need at my house. I have a small property so its not like i have a golf course i need to supply water for Any help, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated. From what you said and other research I will get a GOULD Pump. Thanks,

• richandclaire
    12 years ago

So I have a well. Now what? Anyone out there on long island that can tell me what I need to do at this point?

• lehua49
    12 years ago

rc,

Check out this link. There are many like it to learn what you need from.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2342654_install-well-water-submersible-pump.html

You didn't say what diameter your well is. It make a difference for what type of pump and system you use. Submersible is the most reliable, Jet pump might be best for shallow wells. You need to know the sustainable yield of your well and its draw-down distance. Your friend can help you with all this if he know the set up(code requirements). Did you need a permit for your well? You will need a controller that runs your pump and irrigation. The pressure tank is usually used in conjunction with supplying your house water and controlling the on-off of the pump to meet house pressure needs. There is a large amount of material on the internet and here from past posts. GL JMHO Aloha

• richandclaire
    12 years ago

Lehua,
    Thanks for the reply. Basics: 28 foot well, w/5 foot screen. Water is 14-feet bgs. Diameter is 1.25 inch. This is just for irrigation, nothing else. So no need for pressure tank. I was quoted 1500 to come in and develop the well. (this includes a 1 hp goulds pump). I kinda feel as if thats too much $ to pay. What do you think? Also, do you know of any other sites that may have a diagram/video/instructions on setting up the well? Thank you for your time and efforts. richandclaire@gmail.com

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling