Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Bed water timing/spreading drip irrigation problem

Posted by hykaiaxgun none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 9:08

I have a problem this year with my drip system not spreading water but just running down and out of the beds. I have 4x8 beds with (4) 1/2GPH 6" emitters running down the middle of each square (SFG). All emitters are dripping fine. This is my second season with it and last year I did not have this problem. I posted this question before stating that the only difference this year is lack of rain and snow and the beds are much dryer starting out and was told that this could be the reason. I have soaked the beds by hand and it has rained but it has not helped much. Doing more research, I have come to realize that I water my beds way too much as it is. I have been watering 2xday for an hour and if they only need 1/2G per week, I should only be watering 2xweek for 15minutes. Huge difference. My main concern is that if I water only 2xweek for 15 minutes I will never get them soaked enough to combat this "lack of spreading" problem. Do I need to just soak them by hand every day until they are saturated and then do the 2x week for 15 minutes? Any advice on this would be appreciated. I know I should be considering the individual plant needs too, but I am a newbie and so not there yet!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Bed water timing/spreading drip irrigation problem

gun,

I don't know your water flow rate or pressure of your system but you might try putting a second drip line in with equal spacing to solve your problem. Water will have less distance to travel in the same time. This would probably be better for root growth distance anyway. This would divide your flow rate between the two line and increase pressure loss for two line instead of one. JMHO Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here