Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

new veggie garden in path of existing sprinkler head

coeng
12 years ago

I recently made a 16x16 veggie garden in the back corner of my new property, effectively blocking the path of a sprinkler head that used to water the lawn where the new garden is located.

That being said I need to have the sprinkler head relocated so it is in front of the garden to water the area that is being blocked.

I am also considering tee-ing off that same zone (which already has four sprinkler heads in it) to water the garden when that zone is on. One of my zones has 5 heads so theoretically I think its possible, although I'm no expert in irrigation systems.

Is watering the garden like this advisable? I'm not looking to invest the time and money yet for a drip irrigation system. I just want the garden watered when the lawn is watered just before I wake up. Just a basic non-rotating spray pattern to soak the garden area.

At my old house I never had time to water my garden properly in the morning (running late for work always) so I always just turned the basic oscillating sprinkler on in the morning after my shower and turned it off just before I left for work. And for 6 years I had good results growing tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs.

Comment (1)

• lehua49
    12 years ago

c,

Just my $0.02 worth. It is not advisable to mix plant beds or gardens with with lawn watering. It is not that it is possible, it is, but the watering time for the different areas are very different. You either water your grass correctly and flood your garden or vice versa. That is why they need to be separate zones. Since you have removed 256 sf of lawn your remaining sprinkler heads should able to pick up the remainder. The hard part is getting proper coverage (head location) and isolating the head that will be used for the Garden as a new zone. JMHO Aloha