Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dghays_gw

Questions for fruit tree irrigation

dghays
16 years ago

I have installed a lot of drip irrigation this winter with 1/2" PVC running to different zones of the yard where I can then manually turn them on or off as I desire. At that point they go to 1/2" poly tube. When it gets to the particular fruit tree, I have it turn to 1/2" brown tube with 1gph emitters every 18". I have it do a loop around the fruit tree, and then turn back to the black poly tube towards the next fruit tree. I made educated guesstimates for loop placement for drip zones around each tree.

Wondering how many hours for an average would people typically run it. I realize there's variability for drainage, size and age of fruit tree, its water requirements, etc. But each run will have different fruit trees of different ages within each zone. Just wanting to hear what others have found in their experience, and what distances from the trunk they have used as a rule for their emitter hose.

One last section I want to install would be within the housepad grass which I obviously will be mowing. Obviously I'd be burying the black hose. I assume I could push a shovel into the ground, wiggle it back and forth, and tuck the hose into the 'V' I created to make the run from tree to tree? How deep is ok for that? I assume I'd also need to bury the brown emitter hose around the tree to keep it out of mower danger. How deep for that? Also, since the drip zone would change after a few years, I'd think I'll have to redo it after a while. I don't irrigate my grass.

Also, do they make a fertilizer injector attachment which connects to 1/2 PVC?

Thanks for any comments or help,

Gary

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner