Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering: How to for Beginners

Posted by sammyyummy none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 11:26

Hi.
I am new here and new to gardening. Recently Ive tried to germinate seeds (and read gardening books eg dummies etc) and have had a hit and miss level of success.

Now I want to sow seeds and care for the ones that have sprouted but the watering bit is very perplexing.

I use clear pots with good drainage plus I could see how far the water goes.

When starting from seeds (eg lavender or dianthus), Ive read that the surface has to be moist. While Ive managed that using a water sprayer-mist, the underlying soil isnt (germination success rate is 50%). How do I properly water seeds (or what does it really mean to keep soil/soil surface moist)? Since I use a clear container, how far down should the water wet the soil when I water seeds?

Similarly, when they have sprouted, how far down should the soil be visibly wet when I water?

Please help. Im outta my wits trying to figure it out.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering: How to for Beginners

sy,

When you write that your has good drainage, does that mean water can leave the pot? The moisture has to reach the seed and a little below. The soil should go from saturated at watering to barely moist before watering again. Usually the water travels through the pot and out the bottom leaving moisture behind but not flooding all the air from the soil. Good drainage allows the air to reenter the soil as the water moves out. Roots need some water(nutrients) and air to grow. Does this make sense? There is an amazing amount of information on this in the container gardening, tomatoe SFG forums. GL Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here