Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfhc21

Drip System - Pressure Regulators - Water Flow - Need Help

sfhc21
13 years ago

I kind of jumped into drip systems without doing the proper research before hand. Here's what I bought:

- 500 feet of 1/2" poly tubing

- 300 1/2 GPH Pressure Compensated Emitters with screw caps for easy cleaning (http://bit.ly/eS5ofV)

- Filter

- 30 psi pressure regulator

This is all for a vegetable garden. I hooked everything up and ended up using a total of 290 feet of tubing and 200 emitters. The mainline of tubing is 32 feet with a valve for each row. 10 rows total.

Well, I hooked it all up and turned it on. And every few minutes one of those emitters would come off - shooting water everywhere. Now it wouldn't pop off all the way - the top would just unscrew off.

So I started reading up. Found out that I needed to measure my water pressure and water flow. So I bought one of those pressure measures at Home Depot and found that my pressure varies from 75 to 85 psi. My water flow is about 5.8 GPM or 350 GPH.

Then I tested the pressure with the pressure regulator on. Only about 60 psi. So I thought maybe the pressure regulator I bought couldn't handle the household psi. So I bought a different one from Home Depot - this time a 25psi. Measured it and the same thing happened - about 60 psi. So I put both on and it would jump down to about 40psi and then slowly build up to 60psi again.

So here is my situation. My pressure regulators really aren't lowering the psi down to the advertised psi. And my poly tubing doesn't my water flow. It's only supposed to handle 240 GPH while I'm currently at 350 GPH.

Now, my questions.

1. In order to reduce water flow - can I just turn the water spigot down?

2. Do I just need a better quality water pressure regulator - such as one from Senniger?

http://www.senninger.com/prl.php

The PRL-25 has a maximum inlet pressure of 150 psi and a Flow range of up to 8 GPM. But I'm just skeptical that it would really reduce my pressure to 25 psi.

3. Are the emitters part of the problem? I realize now that I don't need pressure compensated - but at the time they were only a couple bucks more. But having them screw off is frustrating. If I get the pressure and water flow figured out - will they still screw off occasionally? Anyone else have experience with these?

Is there anything I'm not realizing or thinking about?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting