Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palms4all

160' of pvc for irrigation.

palms4all
14 years ago

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I would like to run 160' of PVC from my well pump (residential-underground pump) so I don't have to carry hoses, and I will add a hose bib, possibly 2. The run is straight. My use will be to water a few trees and some pasture. 75'x200.

In the future I might want to add to that 160'.

What diameter of PVC should I be using? I thought 3/4 sch 40 would be okay.

Thanks you very much for any advice.

Comments (7)

• palms4all
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flow is 5gpm.

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Hi Palm,

1/2" will handle 5 gpm. What pressure does your pump generate at the pump outlet for 5 gpm? What size pump are you running? Is it a submersible or jet pump?

3/4" pvc @ 20-100 psi will handle average 23 gpm.
    1" pvc @ 20-100 psi will handle average 37 gpm.

I would go with a 1" pvc pipe. Not much more expensive than 3/4" and reducing your friction loss and give you plenty of future capacity if you increase your well pump capacity or add another well to shorten your pump running time. Aloha

• colokid
    14 years ago

You don't need it, but I think you should go ahead and use one inch. 22 cents a foot yesterday at HD. Don't tie the ends solid or if you bury it, snake it in the trench, cause when you fill it with cold water it will shorten itself and yank the joints loose.

• palms4all
    Original Author
    14 years ago

50# Pressure, submersible. Pump is 1 hp.

Let me give you an example of an idea I came up with.

At a section of the line, say at the 100' mark I will install a bib. Adjacent to this bib, I have 6 citrus trees which I want to drip irrigate.

I can visualize the layout for the drip, but I dont see how I am going to connect the drip to the line/ bib.

Thanks!

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Palm,

Is this system to be automated or all manual operated from ball or gate valves? What diameter is your well? How deep is your well? What voltage is your pump? Did you or could you get your gpm rate from filling a five-gallon bucket and timing it? You should isolate irrigating your trees from your pasture because of the differing watering times. Do this manually by installing ball valves to shut one or the other off. Also the tree zone(drip) will need an in-line pressure reducer(not expensive). There are connection kits for connecting pvc or drip to hose bibs. Aloha

• palms4all
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lehua,

These measures are going to be temporary; i should have mentioned that. Once these citrus trees and grass is established I really don't plan on continuing to irrigate. I will keep the main lines if I ever need water, but by no means is this going to be a high demand operation. Carrying and moving hose by hand is really an inconvenience when just turning a knob can simplify my busy life.

220v, 110 depth, diameter is 10". Who (company ie. rain bird, toro etc.) should I look at for the material with this simple project?

Thank you VERY much for the info you have given me so far!

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Palms,

I think you are underestimating what you will actually need, but you have the resources to increase whatever you do with the source and pump you have. I don't really recommend one brand over another. You can find comparisons with research on past threads and the internet in general. The higher the cost the better the quality as in all things sold. Educate yourself on the going market prices for certain brands by going to more than one or two sources. If you believe you will only put in something for a couple of month cheap is the way to go. If it is lasting over one year or longer go quality and include all the necessary item such as filters, foot valves, pressure regulators, vacuum breaker/air relief valve, ball valves, pump disconnect/fuse box, controller for zones of different types of irrigation and the pump, etc. JMHO, Good luck and aloha