Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southwick7320_gw

Drainage Question, help appreciated

southwick7320
11 years ago

We live in a 0 lot line house and have a fairly small back yard. The area behind our house is an elevated runoff from a park. After moving in, during storms, our backyard became a river. After years of talking to the HoA, last summer they put in a Berm to prevent these issues. Afterwards we had a new retaining wall put in, and the drainage seems to not be a huge issue anymore.

Unfortunately 2 years of being a river killed a tree, and all of the backyard grass. We are in the process of getting bids on sprinklers and have also asked about grading the back yard, it has some lumpy spots and low spots.

Most recommendations have been to regrade the yard to a catch basin, and have that drain to the street. Does this sound reasonable. The are to be grassed in is probably about 10' x 8 '. So far the bids have been $2,500 +.

Part of me thinks this is overkill since the source of the drainage issue has been plugged up, the other part of me worries that if said berm brakes down I'll be right back in my current situation. If we are going to do it now would be the time.

Any help or opinions from the experts here would be much appreciated!

Comments (3)