Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pipe Layout

Posted by tsingh none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 12:52

Here is how my leaking irrigation system is laid out. I am trying to cap it off before the leak, but not sure if by doing so, I might be shutting off heads that I actually want to continue working, since I don't know how the pipe is laid out. What's the best way to find out?

In the diagram below. All sprinkler in Lawn1 work just fine.

Lawn 2 is station 2 and heads H1 - H5 are in that station.

What I notice is that H3 - H5 work but low on pressure so that the sprinkler never really pops out all the way only partially.

H1 does not pop out at all, but spits water. H2 which is next to the tree does not pop out at all. After the sprinkler runs for a while, there is a puddle of water between H1 and H2.

My suspicion is that there is a leak between H1 and H2, perhaps caused by the tree and I would like to shut off the pipe going to H2. However, I am not sure if that will also shut off water to H3 - H5.

Any thoughts?

=====H1=======Tree====H2
<----------Sidewalk ------------->

---------------------Lawn1------ ---------Lawn 2-------H3

........................................................H4

...................................................................... ...................H5

This post was edited by tsingh on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 12:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pipe Layout

ts,

Can really make out what you mean by your diagram.
Several tings to do but it take digging up heads. The other method is to follow the lines from the valves by digging inspection hole to follow the way the pipe go. Or use a piece of rebar that you place in the ground and listen with a stethoscope at the end of the rebar for sounds of water running through the pipe. Can you actually tell where the pipe is leaking (wet areas, etc)? Go ahead and cap of one head at a time and see what is affected by doing so. Also if you dig up a head to plug it off, you can see in which direction the heads lateral lines are headed. Let us know what happens. JMHO Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here