Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

Drip System: Rain Bird or Rain Drip?

PoorOwner
18 years ago

Summer is coming and I need to setup a system soon.

I looked at the kits available that hooks up to the garden faucets.

One kit is by rain bird $35, and another one is by rain drip $20 at lowes. Is the rain drip brand any good? I know rain bird sprinklers are really great. You punch holes in the tube and also add the 1 GPH drippers.

The $20 kit comes with 20 drippers while the $35 rain bird kit comes with 5.. I think the rain drip brand is a better deal, and lowes have an extensive accessories for this brand.

One more question. I can run from faucet to the other end of garden now. But eventually I'm looking for an adapter to go from existing sprikler system's PVC pipe or 1/2" threaded fitting to the drip system. I am assuming a filter and pressure regulator would be with this adapter also. Where can I find this?

Comments (7)

• hookoodooku
    18 years ago

Lowe's has a rain drip brand adapter that will go from 1/2" threaded fitting to drip pipe. How ever, you still need a pressure regulator unless the water pressure at the PVC pipe is 30psi or lower.

I don't know where you could purchase it, but Rainbird makes something of a converter that is encased in a sprinkler head (i.e. replace an existing sprinkler head with this thing) and it has the pressure regulator inside it.

• jasminesmom
    18 years ago

I just installed the system from Lowe's. It's called Mister Landscaper and I am very happy with it. You don't punch holes in the tubing - but you cut and insert drippers. The 2 Lowe's in my town keep a ton of stock on most of the items, plus there was a brochure available with each part, descriptions, etc. They have 1/2", 1/4" and the PVC connections. They have a pretty good website as well with installation procedures.

• thistle5
    16 years ago

Do you like the Mister Landscaper products & does anyone else have any longterm experience w/ this sort of layout? I purchased the starter kit (50 ft. of tubing, asstd. stakes & drippers, the patio & potted plant kit, & the timer)-I'm going to try & set it up this weekend.

I think a system like this might just as efficient or more, as the soaker hoses I currently have in the perimeter beds around the house. I'll move my soaker hoses to the outer edges, & water that way, instead of the intermittent sprinkler water they get now...

My yard is a typical suburban rectangle, 103' x 167', just under 1/2 acre, lots of mature trees, so pretty heavily shaded. I value my few sunny spots & try to cram as much in there as I can, & I think if could get a handle on the watering, I could cram in even more plants!

• charotarguy
    16 years ago

I got everything online, here in northen NJ I couldnt find any drip products in Homedepot or Lowes, which sucks as I have to pay hefty shipping charges. But I did get all the stuff from www.mrdrip.com and they have good service as well.

• rich568519
    16 years ago

I need to know what type of inline fertilizing system works the best for a drip system with lower water pressure

• ut_reddragon_btinternet_com
    15 years ago

Hello
    I am toying with the idea of buying one of these RainDrip systems for my allotment. I have between a 2 foot and 3 foot fall on my plot.Does anybody know if i connected this to 100 litre water tank would it work my being gravity/pressure fed.we are not allowed to use hose pipes but i think this would help to solve my problems for when i can not get to the allotment

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Ray,

It should work. Slowly, but it should work. Pressure decreases as the water in the tank gets lower but with your plot slope it should work. Without more specific data it is really difficult to be sure. It is mostly trial and error. I would prefer, in the conditions you describe, to drill holes in a solid pipe. Small at first. Check the water distribution along the lines. Then adjust the holes larger to even out the flow distribution. Repeat checking after each drilling exercise. Emitters and soakers hoses tend to plug without a filtering system from an open tank whereas open holes fare better under low pressure. Sounds like a good experiment. Let us know how it goes. Gl and aloha.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm