Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
serious help needed here drip irrigation

Posted by momof5boys z5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 05 at 14:39

Hi everyone, you are my last hope. My grandfather recently passed away and when we were cleaning out his basement, I found a 3 tier drip irrigation system..hand made...the man was 92 years old so this is OLD!!! I brought it home and cleaned it up. I saw a similar set up at the Museum of Science in Boston a few years ago and THOUGHT I knew what I was doing. I have tried every trick in the book and I can not figure out how to set it up. The ropes are exactly as they were in my grandfather's basement. CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? Please??
Suggestions are MORE then welcome. Thank you!!! I'm hoping this picture works.

Here is a link that might be useful: drip irrigation system w/rope

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: serious help needed here drip irrigation

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 30, 05 at 23:59

First, I would replace the rope with small chain and hooks. It will be much easier to adjust the height of the lights.
Second, it looks like there are 4 trays?
Are you trying to set up some kind of drip irrigation or perhaps Hydraponics? I built a plant stand vagely similar but I watered by hand.

o
RE: serious help needed here drip irrigation

It looks to me like a light stand too. I use a wooden dowel rod to hang the lights to from their manufactured chains. Then I have screws inserted into the dowel rod ends to facilitate raising, leveling lights on the chains draping from the top ( I use two sets, thus two lights per tier).

There is no reason why you couldn't insert drip emitters or even micro-sprinklers into/above trays or pots to facilitate watering but I set mine up in our living area and prefer to carry trays to the water rather than bring water to them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here