Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bldfw

End of a water channel

BLDFW
12 years ago

Hello....my first posting!

I recently purchased a home on the east side of a Texas lake on the end of one of two channels branching off a small inlet. I'm about 300' from the opening of my particular channel. This last summer due to the drought the water was probably 600' away. I took advantage of the dry conditions to lay 200' of 2" pipe in the dry channel. The lake is full today so approximately 190' of my pipe is now submerged pending the installation of a pump and irrigation pipes to water my lawn and garden. For the moment though, I have a different issue I'm seeking feedback on.

Being on the east side of the lake, the prevailing winds coming from the main body of the lake pushes water into the inlet where it then splits and flows up each channel until it's too shallow to go any further. Along with the water is all of the surface debris and trash that makes its way to the end of the channel and sits there seemingly stagnating. The debris includes tree droppings, trash, beer cans, flip flops, etc. It's gonna get worse probably as the lake partiers start getting out in full.

With partial success I have experimented with putting a 20ft floating boom made of sealed 2" PVC pipe across the channel which allows the debris to move towards the end of the 30ft wide channel but not back out again. It works to a degree. I think what might work really well is to create a V shaped boom to funnel debris to the middle and then have a spray head of some type to encourage debris past the narrow end of the V where it is then trapped and unable to return to the channel. Makes for better sight! Clean up could come later as the lake level drops later in the summer. I really want the water to circulate too so that it doesn't smell back there.

Anyone experience in dealing with a similar type of issue?

Any suggestions/tips/comments would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment (1)