Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiffany_gw

size of tubes in beds?

kiffany
13 years ago

Hi,

Planning out a drip system for my new raised beds. The url I attached shows the beds and in the corner of one of the small beds in the middle is my faucet. I measured the output last night and I am getting 720 GPH. I will be putting a 30 psi regulator on the system. My plan is to split the beds up into 2 zones with approx 104' of drip line in each zone.

I am planning to run 1/2' mainline and then branch into each bed with 1/4' dripline with 6' spacing and .5GPH drippers.

I have been watching videos at dripworks.com and they punch a hole in the mainline next to the beds and run a 1/4 line of solid tube up the side of the box. They then attach multiple 1/4' driplines to the solid tube and run them across the bed.

Now, in other pictures online, I see people run 1/2' tube into the bed and then punch in to it.

Questions:

1) The tube from the mainline into the beds...1/4' or 1/2' solid tube? Does a 1/4' provide enough water to run four 1/4' driplines? The 1/2' would require putting in t connectors in the main...looks like the 1/4' is just punched in.

2) The perimeter beds are 2' x 25' and 2' x 35'. This website http://www.dripirrigation.ca/HowTo_Garden.asp shows a 2' bed with one drip line running down it, looks like 1/2' with 12' spacing. Would this be enough? The perimeter beds will have potatoes, strawberries, carrots, and rhubarb. Also how long can I make the runs. This website seems to indicate that you can do long runs. Can I run just one of these driplines down the whole length? Should I use two of them? Or should I stick with the 1/4' dripline, but I see the limit on one run of 1/4' is about 15' so I would have to run multiple branches off the mainline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden beds

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio