Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone only comes on manually

Posted by winterwolfes 7a NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 15:23

I have a 4 zone set up. This year Zone 2 would not turn out. Turns out that it was a bad wire. Luckily there was a spare wire run to the box so swapping it out was simple. The problem though was once I got zone 2 working, zone 3 went on the fritz. It is having the same symptoms that zone 2 had. The zone will not turn on. I have Toro 264 series valves. If I open the bleed screw, the zone comes on. Then when I close the screw, the zone stays on. But the problem is that it won't shut off. I swapped the selonoid with one of the other working zones and that did not fix it. I also swapped wires and it didn't work. Today, I took the valve apart and cleaned it really well. I also bought a new diaphram and installed it, still the valve will not turn on unless I open the bleed screw. And when I do that, it will not turn off once I close it. Is there something else I am missing here?? Any one have any other suggestions. Between these 2 zones, I have been fighting this system every day after work this week!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone only comes on manually

ww,

Try turning on your zone by turning the solenoid counterclockwise until the water comes on without turn on the bleed screw. Turn the solenoid only enough to start the irrigation. To shut off turn the solenoid clockwise just enough to stop the water. Do not over tighten. Let us know what happens. Aloha

o

lehua - Thanks for responding! My valve (Toro 264) does not have a screw in solenoid. It has two screws on either side of it and those screw down into holes on either side of the valve. But anyway, I did what you suggested. I loosened those screws just until water started moving. It shot out from under the solenoid and also started coming out the sprinklers. I then tightened the screws and after about 1 minute, the zone shut down again.

o

lehua - I figured it out. The exhaust port was blocked up. A grain of sand must have got in there. I started out last week knowing nothing about sprinkler valves. I am now an expert. hahaha.

So thanks for your time. Mission accomplished!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here