Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basic setup for 2x4 tomato bed

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 15:37

I'm planning on installing a drip system with Dig components and am trying to visualize how to run the hoses to a 2x4 bed. Nothing fancy, just basic enough to water two tomato plants. All the guides taht I have ready are WAY too complicated for my application.

So this is what I envision...1/2" irrigation hose along the ground to 90 degree elbow, up 12 inches with another 1/2" hose to another 90 degree elbow over the top of the bed frame. Next I add a small section of 1/2" hose from the elbow to a ball valve, then another short section of 1/2" hose (after the ball valve) terminated. In the bed I form an oblong loop of 1/4" micro hose with the two ends of the hose inserted into holes that I punch in the 1/2" hose that is terminated after the ball valve.

Or is there an easier way to lay this out. My brain isn't working today so any advice (or a pic) is appreciated.

Ideally it would be nice if I could find a 1/2" to 1/4" compression tee so I wouldn't have to terminate the hose after the ball valve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basic setup for 2x4 tomato bed

c,

Your set up seems fine to me. I did something similar with a long loop of soaker hose. I used pvc into the bed with a pcv tee and adapters at both end that my soaker hose fit onto at each ends of the tee. It did great for two seasons for two tomatoe plants and some beans and herbs. As long as the soil gets adequate soaking for each irrigation. I had to get the time of irrigation by trial and error. GL JMHO aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here