Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agemoz

Unusual sprinkler valve problem

agemoz
11 years ago

Hello,

I've had a "sprinkler valve wont close" problem for years, and have never seen anything here or on google that addresses it. I run my watering sequence and one valve gets stuck on. I've replaced the solenoid and valve several times, it always works (shuts off) for a few days, then stops shutting off. There's never any dirt or grit. The controller has been replaced twice. Swapping solenoid leads, the problem stays with the valve, not the solenoid. Stretching the solenoid spring works for a few days, then it goes back to failing every day. I have varied the tightness of the solenoid fitting to no avail (once the valve fails, it never works correctly until I stretch out the spring).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

Comments (5)

• trkpoker
    11 years ago

I suspect you are not adjusting the flow control knob on the valve. Many valves need the flow control to not be fully open. If on your valve there is a flow control knob open it fully then tighten it down 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 rotations. Run the zone and see if the pressure seems correct. Other than this you could have a bad valve body (but not likely).

Good luck,
    Tom

• agemoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your reply. The system uses orbit sprinkler valves with no flow control, only a bleed knob. If you suspect a flow control problem, is this another way of saying the pressure is too high?

I have replaced the valve body at least 5 times, so I know its not the valve body (unless you mean valve body design). None of the other valves in the set have this problem.

Thank you,
    Bob

• mike1059
    11 years ago

I would suspect the problem is more the quality of the valves than a pressure problem. if your pressure is above 75psi that could be a problem for orbit valves. I would recomend going to a rain bird 75dvf valve which should deal with the trouble.

• agemoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I've now tried a couple of other valve brands, including a Watermaster with flow control. I get exactly the same result--it works for about 4 cycles, then the spring in the solenoid weakens and the valve no longer shuts off. If I stretch the spring a bit, it starts working again for a few cycles. There are 5 valves, only this one valve always fails after a while. I can swap valves and the problem stays with the line, not the valve. The bad line is the lowest of the sprinkler lines. Could there be a siphoning effect that damages the spring or keeps the valve on even when the solenoid releases?

• lehua49
    11 years ago

age,

My belief is it may be a pressure related problem. Are the zones on the same source? What is the pressure and flow rate of your source? You haven't really given a full picture of your system and its idiosyncrasies. Do you have any pressure regulators on your system? Is the source coming from the street pressure or the house pressure after the house regulator? You might think of having a licensed professional irrigation expert check your system out. We are at a disadvantage without physically checking out you system. JMHO. aloha

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures