Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermicide

First time DIY'er ready to take the plunge

hermicide
10 years ago

Hey all. I've been wanting to install my own lawn irrigation for the last couple years and just recently got serious about it. Been doing a ton of research online and on this forum. There is a wealth of information out there and I'm starting to get a little "information overload". I'm hoping I can lay out my plan and see if any of you experts see any glaring problems.

My yard is 50 x 55' with square corners, slope is probably 5' down from house to street. Just this one main area that is getting irrigated.

I have a 5/8 meter with 3/4 copper in-house line. I'll be tapping in the unfinished basement right behind the main shutoff with 3/4 copper, then another shutoff valve and tee to drain. Then ~6' of 3/4 copper outside to the PBV, then ~3' of copper to the valve manifold. 3/4 valves and 3/4 poly lateral lines to heads.

Now this is where i start second guessing myself. I have 70 psi static pressure from a hose faucet. Given that and my pipe type/sizes, I calculate no more than 7-8 GPM per zone. On the right track so far? I was planning on 8 Rainbird 32SA around the perimeter set to ~25' radius for head to head coverage. That only gives me 2 heads per zone to stay within my flow restrictions if I understand the flow for these heads. Then in the center a 360 sprayer and a drip line for bushes on it's own zone. 5 total zones.

Thank you to anyone who waded through all that. Any constructive feedback, encouraging words? Anyone want to tell me I'm over my head?

Comments (3)