Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Electrical gremlin -- all the valve wires connected to each other

Posted by gosalsk MS (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 18:07

Last year my sprinkler system worked. This year it doesn't.

So I cracked the controller box open and quickly noticed that ALL the zone terminals were hot when any individual one was supposed to be. I suspected a failed controller, but after disconnecting all the zone wires I verified that only the one terminal is getting hot at a time.

The wires to the controller are all in a premanufactured wrapped bundle which runs from the controller through a pvc pipe down the wall, through the wall, to a PVC connector and then is direct buried into the ground. About two feet away from the building the individual wires are all spliced to larger wires to head out to the various valves. I haven't ripped that bundled wire out yet but I'm 99.99% sure it's unmolested. And, again, the individual wires are all getting the full 27 volts when one does. The unused wires in the bundle--which end in the ground! -- have 2 volts or so. I measured about 110 ohms of resistance between the various sprinkler valve wires.

I didn't build this system and have only lived in this house for two years. Don't even know where all the valves are. Over the winter, I did do some digging for a garden, and it was unusually cold, but I'm pretty sure I didn't hit any wires and can't see how that could have caused this issue anyway. Mechanical damage to the bundle should not make ALL the wires connect to each other. That would be quite a coincidence.

I'm at a loss--what should I do? Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by gosalsk on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 18:08


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Electrical gremlin -- all the valve wires connected to each o

I guess I should add that the resistance when checking the common and valve wires is very, very high...

Could the cause of this be an innundated valve or connection? We have had a lot of rain here lately (though not too lately). I did find the meter boxes had still had standing water in them, though. The winter was also exceptionally cold.

But, no, there's no leak, at least not on my side of the meters.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here