Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprinkler system pipe repair

Posted by sjrockey z9 Central FL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 20:34

I have a 3/4 pvc pipe that broke right where it connects to the valve. What options do I have to repair the break? Will I need a new valve?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve in Central Florida

In the link to a picture of my problem, the valve can be seen in the lower left, the crack runs about 6 inches right up to the crack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to picture of Broken pipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprinkler system pipe repair

It's hard to tell from the pic. if the bushing in the valve is threaded or slip. If it's threaded than the repair is real simple using a 1" male adaptor, a 1"x3/4" bushing and a flow-span repair coupler. If the bushing is glued in than the valve will probably need to be replaced.

o
RE: Sprinkler system pipe repair

OK, the solution is tricky to do the first time but you can handle it if your very careful and a bit lucky. Dig a hole away from the valve about 12-18" long and about 2"-3" deeper than the pipe. Exposing the pipe all around so you can cut it off. Cut off the pipe as close to the bushing as you can without cutting into the bushing. Cut carefully. Cut off the pipe a few inches past the break. When you have this done you will see the pipe inside the bushing. Take a hacksaw blade out of your hacksaw and carefully cut through the pipe BUT not into the bushing. Be very careful. Move over inside the pipe about 1/4" and make another cut. Take a hammer and a very thin flat screw driver and very carefully tap the screw driver between the pipe and the bushing. Go slow and DONT hit hard. Angle the screw driver slightly toward the middle of the pipe so your applying most of your tapping to the pipe and not the bushing.

If all goes well you will pop out a bit of the pipe in a grove 1/4" wide. Now carefully work the rest of the pipe out by tapping the screw driver between the pipe and the bushing working around the pipe. Often the pipe will pop out in one or 2 larger pieces. Be sure to get all small bits out.

Repair the pipe/bushing with a bit extra glue and primer and it should be as good as new. If at any point the bushing cracks/splits you will have to replace the whole valve.

Good luck,
Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here