Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

What other names might one call a Sprinkler Guard?

Posted by bbbbosox z7 GA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 20:44


I hope this forum is the right one. If not, my apologies and please feel free to direct me to the right one.

What I'm looking for is a round green item with a hole in it that surrounds a sprinkler. It adds some additional protection to pop-up sprinklers, such as a large rain-bird type, and provides a small buffer around the sprinkler where grass might not grow. I hope I've described it in good enough detail. I've only seen them advertised in one mail-order publication, i.e, Pickett Fence, but would like to find other potential sources. The big box stores, like HD and Lowes, don't seem to carry them. "Sprinkler Guard" may be a trade-mark name, but perhaps it is known by other names. If you know of any other names or where you've already been able to purchase them, please let me know.

I've done a search on the web using "Sprinkler Guard", but the preponderance of query finds seem to deal with wire type guards that cover indoor fire sprinklers.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What other names might one call a Sprinkler Guard?

We utilize concrete donuts on all heads installed adjacent to driveways and streets to protect them from vehicle traffic. They help stabilize the heads and gives them a chance against cars. The donuts are available locally here in the Houston area from wholesale irrigation suppliers and come in different sizes for different type heads. I've seen plastic "protectors" sold at the big box stores, but they are essentially worthless and provide no protection.

All Wet
Texas Licensed Irrigator #1897 since 1984

RE: What other names might one call a Sprinkler Guard?

All Wet,

Thanks for your response; really do appreciate it. I can definitely see their use along driveways. I have a long one that has subtle curves in it and I have seen time and time again where friends, Fed-Ex, UPS, et al, have had a tough time backing up ... many times going over the edges onto the lawn areas ... not bad, but I cringe as I think about the sprinklers. To be fair to my builder, he did ask us "Are you sure you want a driveway with subtle curves?". Well, my wife and I too like the look, but I now know what the builder was probably thinking. LOL! Surprising though, none of those sprinklers got mashed. Just lucky I guess!

I haven't been able to find anything at our local big box stores, meaning HD and/or Lowes. I called a few local plumbing/piping supply places, i.e., Apex (now owned by HD), but that turned out to be a "no-go" as well. LOL! While I described the item in reasonable detail (so I think), none of them carried them ... now I can "talk the talk" ... "concrete donuts" so I can be more specific in my searches and/or discussions with folks on the phone.

Again, thanks so very much.


RE: What other names might one call a Sprinkler Guard? has two. Plastic. Called Sprinkler Guard Donut and Sprinkler Spray Guard.
Another unique one is at

RE: What other names might one call a Sprinkler Guard?

Generally, they are called spray guards or donuts. You can find some on Amazon and possibly eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: spray guards

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here