Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djreiswig

Best irrigation method for 1000 sq ft row crop garden

djreiswig
13 years ago

We have a 25x40 garden with 28 rows 25' long. We have been using the Wal-Mart soaker hose setup for the last few years, but the tubing only seems to last a couple years and then it doesn't drip water anymore. Our town water is kind of hard, so that may be the cause.

We are wanting to invest in a better system, but don't have much knowledge or experience with this type of thing. There seem to be so many options for drip systems. I have read about emitter tubing in several sizes, and t-tape. I know there are others, but I don't know the terminology.

We basically had the soakers set up with main lines running down one of the 40' sides and the soakers running perpendicular every 18". We split the garden in 1/2 with 14 soakers fed off of each mainline.

I think our water source is about 5gpm if that makes a difference. Not sure on the pressure, but I assume 50-60psi.

We remove all of the tubing every year and store it in a shed so we can till the soil.

What is the best type of system to use for our garden. I have no experience with either t-tape or emitter tubing. We don't want to spend a ton on a system, but we don't want to replace it every year, either. What kind of life can one expect to get out of the tubing.

Please educate us.

Comment (1)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Hi dj,

First, thanks for telling us the most important info, pressure and flow.

Items to consider in designing a system is the overall amount of water you would need to apply when plants are in the mature growth stage and your root balls are at their maximum. A good thing is that you have done it for three years. At the plants maximum growth period how often and how long did you irrigate? Also how many zones did you create for your 28 rows?

Type of water distribution system that can deliver that amount of water in a reasonable time. Drip tape and emitter lines have rates of flow per foot of length in their selling literature. We can use that to design your system utilizing your source flow rate. What are you using currently as your source of water? Have you measured your flow rate filling up a 5 gallon bucket and timing the fill?
    50-60 psi is excellent pressure but high for a drip, soaker hose and T-tape system. Have you tested your pressure with a garden hose-end gauge at your hose faucet? The is also a good way to check your house water pressure. Did you have any ruptures with your soaker hoses? Soaker hoses lasting a couple of years is very good especially with hard water. You will have the same problem with emitters but less so with t-tape. Your length of drip lines is long enough to be economical to buy. Do you have a vacuum breaker on your line?

Another consideration is your type of soil. Different types create different wetting patterns with drip. Is it good draining(sandy)or is it poor draining(clayey)or somewhere in between?

Are you very water conservation minded and is that the most important aspect of your system? Or is it cost? Everything will be compare to your current system. What did you pay for your soaker hose per foot? Have you priced out the different types of drip lines and fittings? Do you want the system automated?

An option that has done well for 1,000s of year is furrow irrigation(faster delivery shorter duration) or pvc pipe with small hole drilled into it(designed by trial and error method). These methods don't clog up, cost way less and are easy or non-existent when you are preparing the soil for a new crop. Drip is only important if water is at a high premium and scarce or you have a strong inner desire to conserve water or have the latest in technological advances($$)to impress others.

Your safest way is to have a professional landscaper design and install the system who you could call and have redo any problems at his cost.

Like most of us on here at Garden the joy of gardening is learning and experiencing our mistakes and learning some more. JMHO. Aloha

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz