Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drip line. . . connecting/installing

Posted by babera 5 Montana (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 21:27

Hello. . . we moved into my husbands Grandparents home 2 years ago. Last year was the first growing season. We have underground sprinklers but there were no flower beds, just a few trees and a nice lawn. I learned the hard way what not to plant in front of the sprinkler head. . . that's a whole 'nother story. . . one of the flower beds I put in is behind a sprinkler and due to several issues the sprinkler cannot cover that part of the bed. So I had a friend come help me put in a drip/bubble line, which is connected to the UG sprinkler line. What he did was cut the 1/4" tubing(I think that's the diameter) and put a nipple type thing in it. The *thing* kinda looks like a top. One end is smooth and the other has a flange/ridge on it. I never thought twice abut the installation, Everything seemed to be doing ok, but it was just shrubs and spring bulbs. So, this year I copied what he did and added more nipple things so I can have more plants. Fast forward a few weeks. . . I don't think the nipple things are what I need. . I think they may be connectors ? ? ? I'm not sure, that's why Im asking. . . if they are what I need I'm good. . . if not what do I need and how do I go about it now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drip line. . . connecting/installing

I love to help out with irrigation, but I am having a hard time understanding what you are getting at. In irrigation, a nipple usually refers to a piece of pipe with male thread on both ends. Do you have a picture of what you are trying to do?

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 1:08

Oh good. . . I"ll get a picture tomorrow. . . I knew I used the wrong words. . .

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 11:47

maybe the pictures will say it better than I can. . .

[URL=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/maidinmontana/media/_MG_4118.jpg.html][IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/maidinmontana/_MG_4118.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/maidinmontana/media/_MG_4117.jpg.html][IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/maidinmontana/_MG_4117.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/maidinmontana/media/_MG_4119.jpg.html][IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/maidinmontana/_MG_4119.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 11:49

hmmmmmmm. . . that didn't work. . . photo bucket has changed since I used it last. . .let me try that again. . .

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 12:19

try this one. . .

o

one more

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 12:21

here's the *nipple/bubble (what is the correct name for this thing?). I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get slammed for many things about this post. . . please go easy on me. . .

This post was edited by babera on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:03

o

I'm actually not familiar with this exact brand, but it looks like a drip emitter to me... probably an inline drip emitter based on how it's positioned on the tubeing. ....if water drips out of it when the zone is on, its an inline drip emitter. Don't worry about getting slammed lol! I've installed irrigation systems for the last 5 years and still don't always know the proper names for parts.

o

I'm actually not familiar with this exact brand, but it looks like a drip emitter to me... probably an inline drip emitter based on how it's positioned on the tubeing. ....if water drips out of it when the zone is on, its an inline drip emitter. Don't worry about getting slammed lol! I've installed irrigation systems for the last 5 years and still don't always know the proper names for parts.

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 19:10

well. . . like I said I didn't check it last summer after my buddy added them. Since the 4 shrubs that were being feed water by them were doing good I didn't think to check them. However I did do some above ground watering in the same bed. I haven't turned on my sprinkler system yet this year so I don't know if they will work or not.

After doing some research and before I posted my question here I saw a similar setup and they used the same type thing as this (pictured above) but their application was to connect tubing together. . . so I figured I may have used the wrong thing. . . I guess I will find out when I start up the sprinklers. Maybe come May. . .LOL. . . I'm kinda leary this year, as we know ma nature can be somewhat stubborn. . . thanks for the input Silverdraggon. . .

o

Ya, those are drippers. I've never seen them with hose on both ends though. That may slow the drop down, somewhat. I'd run the hose to the plant, and then use a dripper on the end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here