Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foragingfool

using a well for irrigation

foragingfool
14 years ago

I have a well that has not been used since I switched over to city water and I would like to re-use it for garden irrigation.

It's apprx. 70ft deep with water level apprx. 30ft down.

My thoughts are to install a pitless adapter just above ground in the side of the pvc well casing and run poly pipe apprx 100ft to the garden and another 50ft down the length of the garden. My question is what's a good basic set up ?

Do I need an expansion tank and pressure cut-in/out switch etc? Im hoping the set up can be as basic as just reaching down and pull the well pump/pipe etc up 5ft and re-hook into the pitless above ground and just have an on/off power switch to pump the water direct to the garden. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Hi forfool,

Please supply more info on your well and pump. Is the pump a submersible or jet pump? What voltage? What pressure and flow did the pump previously produce? What diameter is the well? Explain what a pitless adapter is? Is this to be manually operated? The tank would be more for an automated system for start and stop of the pump to maintain pressure limits. Usually for a house service.

• foragingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, thanks for responding. When I closed the well I sold the submersible pump at that time. I'm still trying to determine what size pump to use. I prefer a 2 wire 220 volt pump which would match the existing electrical supply at the well head.
    A pitless is brass connector that allows for the well pipe and pump to hang from and where it makes the turn to the basement below the frost line down in the well casing. I want to just unhook everything (pump/well pipe/wiring)and hang it from a new pitless which I will install at the top of the well casing above ground. My concerns would be: is there any stress on the pump if it's operated via a simple on/off switch ? Will 1" poly pipe be a good diameter supply line to the garden when the horizontal run will be apprx. 150 feet for a garden size of apprx. 25'x 50' ?
    Appreciate any thoughts/advice
    thanks

• lehua49
    14 years ago

FFL,

What is the flow and pressure needed to meet your irrigation need? How much and how high do you need to pump. The pressure determines whether you use poly(lower pressure/garden hose) or pvc(sch 40 higher pressure to the garden edge. Pressure reduce and then use poly. Flow will determine your pipe size diameter. A two wire is probably 115-120v pump and three wires mean 220-240v pump(stronger pump). Use something that matches the old pump or less. If you know your well yield/drawdown curve then you can be more accurately in deciding the pump capacity. There would be no problem turning on/off the pump directly with a switch since that is what happens anyway from a control box. Do install a disconnect box with fuse for protection of your pump(I think it is a code requirement). What you need to be concerned about is water hammer or pressure surge in your pipe when starting up or shutting off the pump. That is why you pump into a surge tank before your irrigation lines, especially drip. It is good to have a one-way or check valve near your pump. Then you aren't filling your mainline when the pump starts up. Of course draining in winter will be necessary with above ground piping. By the wway this is JMHO. Aloha