Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Irrigation over leach field

Posted by bh_wolf NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 23:44

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone has experience w/ (or strongly advises against) installing an irrigation over a septic leach field.

On the one hand, I'd generally say, "leave the leach field alone." However, I live in NC with heavy clay, and my leach field is about half an acre. I currently irrigate that section by hand in the summer so the net effect is the same.

Failing an irrigation system over the field, it would be nice to at least cross the field to get irrigation to the side yard...

Any opinions? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Irrigation over leach field

Since you all ready water it I don't see why not. Go for it.
Just if you grow tomatoes there, don't tell you friends.

o

Hi wolf,

I will throw my $0.2 worth in the pot. I would not do any irrigation over a leach field and let any rain take care of the vegetation. The reason being is that any water soaked into the ground reduces the capacity of your leach field and also the water trying to get out of the pipes will have a harder time if the clay is wet. This will leave the nasty stuff to remain in the pipes and eventually clog. Now from your experience you have not had a problem before because it sounds like you have plenty of capacity but over time you will have a problem if you irrigate a leach field. Then it is absolutely no fun to repair or replace. Crossing lines across, no problem. Make sense? Wow, I spent more than two cents worth. Good luck and Aloha

o

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I'm torn on it. When I moved in 4 years ago, the lawn (for that matter, the house too) needed a lot of work. I find that I need to irrigate over the leach field in times of stress/heat -- when I skipped it last year (granted, we were in a drought) a good part of the lawn died anyway.

My thought was: a healthy lawn, irrigated or not, would make a better leach field. Well, I have some time to think about it since we'd look to do it this fall...

Thx again!

o

Hi bh,

If you irrigate just want the grass will uptake your good. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here