Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casolorz

Sprinkler system equipment

casolorz
13 years ago

We are starting to get quotes for a sprinkler system for our 3.5 acre lot. We have a pretty good well, the pump gets 32 gpm, but 10 of those could be used by the geothermal when running.

Anyways, I want to know what equipment you all recommend, brands, types, etc. Since its a pretty large lot I would like to get sprinkler heads that have a pretty good reach, at least on the backyard area.

The lot is pretty flat, rectangular. Don't know what else matters so please ask away.

Anyways, any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

--Carlos

Comments (5)

• percystash
    13 years ago

Are you planning on installing the system yourself?
    Also depends on what you are growing and, to an extent, what else is in the area you are watering.
    These guys have most of the stuff that you will need:

Here is a link that might be useful: Irrigation Equipment

• casolorz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the majority will be grass. There will be trees and flower beds too but a lot of grass for sure.
    Also I forgot to mention, we have a sewage field which doesn't need watering, its huge, much larger than normal. We also have a pond, maybe 1/2 an acre.

As far as installing it myself, I don't know. The job looks huge but I do want to save money. I guess it all depends on how the design turns out.

Thanks,

--Carlos

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Cas,

Who is doing the design(bidders)? Wait for the quotes to come back and see what brands they use and who is more expensive. I hope you have asked at least three companies. Did you ask them to itemize their bids? Have you asked to provide their own insurance while they are on your property? Are they licensed contractors? JMHO Aloha

• casolorz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We've gotten quotes from small/tiny companies and large ones, 5 or 6 quotes by now, they all go between 6K and 8K, one was 12K. Some have been bids some have been estimates.

The one place that always advertises that you can do part of the labor gave us a "we do the minimum you do the rest" quote, and it was only like 500 or 600 less than their original quote, they said that all our cost was on the equipment, which is what got me wondering more about the equipment.

--Carlos

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Cas,

Get them to itemize their bids for the main components of the system. You then can compare what they are charging for pvc pipe, controllers, irrigation heads, how many heads, other fittings. The 8K is probably the industry rate with quality brands. The low bid may be not give the same quality. The high bid doesn't need the job and probably would be a side job to him and probably not do the job in a timely fashion. Whatever you do do not pay any money up front and only pay for items installed that you can count and have them give you certificate of insurance that is current and names you as an additionally insure party. Too learn the most you can compare itemized bids. List the equipment and its cost to install. Tis the season for hungry contractors. Don't waste the opportunity. Hire only licensed contractors. Good Luck. JMHO Aloha