Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dtay_us

Comparing two bids: Hunter vs. Rain Bird; PVC vs. Poly pipe?

dtay_us
14 years ago

I'm currently comparing two bids from two certified irrigation contractors; one is a Hunter shop, and another is exclusively Rain Bird. Both came back with the same number of zones (7).

Hunter shop: Hunter Pro-C controller, 22 rotors, 15 heads (37 total heads); Rotors are Hunter PGP, Heads are Hunter Pro series.

Rain Bird shop: Rain Bird ESP controller, 21 rotors, 22 heads (43 total heads); Rotors are Rain Bird 5004 series, and heads are Rain Bird 1800 series.

The difference is that the Hunter contractor uses PVC plumbing under the ground whereas the Rain Bird contractor uses poly pipes, which are apparently suited for colder climates. The Hunter contractor, however, is claiming that I do not want poly pipe because they're prone to leaks. When I brought this up to the Rain Bird contractor, he offered a 5 year warranty against leakage to reassure me (his standard warranty is 2 years P&L, which is the same as hte Hunter contractor). I'm in the NoVA (DC metro) area.

Right now, the price difference is about $850 between the two, with the lower price going towards the Rain Bird contractor.

Should I be concerned about poly vs PVC? How does Rain Bird compared to Hunter?

Thanks,

David

Comments (3)

• sprinklrdr
    14 years ago

I've been an irrigation service technician for 15 years, and have worked on all brands of irrigation systems extensively.

As far as the PVC vs Poly debate, I'd expect the Rain Bird guy will use PVC for the main line, which is the line under constant pressure supplying the 7 valves, and Poly line for the zone lines from the valves to the heads. Poly is much easier to plumb and to repair, any leakage is going to be inconsequential. If he does use Poly for the mainline he'll have to install a master valve at the point of connection, which will only pressurize the mainline when the controller calls for a station to run

The one thing to look out for when it comes to poly pipe is that it has a NSF rating. NSF.org. Almost all of it does.

An NSF rated poly pipe has a warranty of at least 25 yrs. Non NSF poly is a catastrophe in 5-7 years as it becomes brittle and will render your new irrigation system a leaky unusable mess.

As far as the difference in materials, they are too close to call quality wise. I like the coverage of the nozzles in the 5004's compared to the Hunter pgp. The spray is more even from the head to the end of the stream.

Why is the hunter guy using 7 less heads?

The other thing with PVC it will definitely fracture catastrophically under freezing conditions, where the poly will stretch enough to not break.

With this being said, comparing apples to apples, and assuming both contractors have good intentions, the RB guy seems the bargain.

Again, in my years seeing thousands of systems, 75% of which I did not install, the durability, ease of use, and serviceability of the system are almost entirely dependent on the quality of the install, not on the manufacturer or type of product. Make sure things are done right. Don't be hesitant to walk around and watch. I certainly don't mind answering questions when I'm working and no one should have anything to hide. Remember they are burying something in the ground, and you can't see it, like you can a painter or plumber or carpenter.

• dtay_us
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sprinklrdr -

I'm not sure why the Hunter contractor is using less heads but that's what it was listed in their proposal and the breakdown for each type.

The Hunter contractor uses CPVC pipes in the basement or utility room that goes out to the outside where the backflow is (required by our county) and from the backflow connection, it's then PVC.

The Rain Bird contractor uses copper plumbing in the basement or utility room that goes out to the outside, and copper as where where the backflow as well.

Both contractors are "certified" and are on the approved list of preferred irrigation contractors as listed by the local water utility company (Loudoun Water) for conforming to the EPA WaterSense standards, etc., so either one would be a fine choice if the price was the same. The only difference then, would be the equipment and type of pipes used.

Thanks for the info re the NSF rating. I'll be sure to look out for it.

At this point, from a price standpoint, the Rain Bird contractor seems like a better deal, especially since the only reason why his price was less was because of marketing or support programs being offered by Rain Bird to his company to generate sales. The Hunter contractor, in his revised bid, was still $850 more.

Regards,
    David

• ri_ohio
    14 years ago

Hello,

I would just like to add a few things:

We install both Hunter and Rain Bird, we only make a recommendation based on each individual site, since each individual product will have a pro and con and their ideal application. If there were one brand that was the best then there would be no debate.

PVC vs. Poly, in my mind Poly (PE) lateral lines are better (NSF of course). If you go the PE route then request that they do not use saddles since we find them to the cause of the majority of the leaks repaired. Have them use all insert fittings...

I have to take CEU's every year to maintain my certifications and it always gets me how so many people can design a irrigation system differently and achieve similar results. That being said: one bid had one more rotor and a few less sprays while the other had one less rotor and a few more sprays. That information is too vague to make a determination that one design is superior to the other or not. Without seeing the entire landscape design I would not put too much weight into the head count unless you posted a scaled diagram of what they are bidding on. IF you decide to go with the Hunter System ask the contractor about the Solar Sync weather sensor. We install both Hunter and Rain Bird and we are excited to see if this device lives up to the billing. We have only installed 10 so far but I am waiting to see how it pans out. I have tried Weathermatic Smart Line, Toro Intellisense and I am eager to see how this compares for such a low price point. It is sensor that not only measures rain but temps and humidity as well and then it uses the seasonal adjustment feature to adjust the program. If your system has matched precipitation and you combine that with the Solar Sync you should reap the benefit$ of any price difference within 3-5 years in water savings.

BUT here nor there, it should come down to whom you feel the most comfortable with. Sounds like you have two capable contractors.

Good Luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog