Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
absoluteblock

Pressure Compensating Drip Emitters

absoluteblock
10 years ago

I'm in the process of converting pop up sprinklers to drip irrigation in our planters. The pressure at the automatic valve is high, 80-90 PSI the last couple times I've tested it.

Purchased some 2, 4, and 8-port outlets to connect 1/4" drip line tubing. As far as fifty feet away, the stream coming from each 1/4" drip line will shoot ten feet into the air with no emitters installed. I need to install something to reduce the pressure.

A friend recommended Pressure Compensating Drip Emitters such as the ones listed here http://www.dripworks.com/category/pressure-compensating-emitters. They claim to work with pressure ranges of 10-50 or 10-70 PSI.

Question: Doesn't this put excessive stress on the 1/4" dripline such that it will burst prematurely, even with a few dozen drip lines installed? The extra pressure has to be absorbed somewhere...

Comment (1)

• lehua49
    10 years ago

ab,

Yes, your friend is not a help in this case. You need to get a pressure reducer, maybe even two in tandem to get the pressure down to 10-15 psi. The pipeline can not withstand the pressure, the emitter has nothing to do with it. Get advice from an irrigation supply store. Is this pressure coming from your house outdoor faucet or from a irrigation system hooked up to by pass the house lines? Aloha