Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keep blowing pressure reducers and drippers on 1/4 inch line

Posted by s10sleeper Kansas (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 1:55

I have been building a drip irrigation system for my raised bed garden. The first kit was a raindrip system, and one issues was the anti siphon leaked like mad, but since I was downhill I removed it, but kept the pressure reducer on. My drip emitters were not dripping, but squirting a constant stream, even when my valve was partially open. I bought another pressure reducer to add on with no luck.

Then I bought a pressure gauge, finding out my water pressure is hitting 60-80 even with a hydrant leak. My drippers even started snapping on me.

I bought some new ones that work a little better, an 8 outlet orbit manifold with pressure regulator and still had issues, so i bought an adjustable regulator, which has troubles letting water through unless I bleed out some pressure.

This is driving me up a wall, but i am hoping to get my shallow well jet pump running if I can locate the info on it, as sears shows no record of the number, it is 1/2 hp 20-40 psi with no tank. Shallow water is no problem, I live by a creek

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keep blowing pressure reducers and drippers on 1/4 inch line

s,

You seem to know you have an excessive pressure problem. You have laid out a description but actually haven't given any information for us to make a recommendation. What part of the system have you pressure tested. Where you getting 60-80 psi from the hydrant in the street? Have you pressure tested from an outdoor faucet from your house? Is that where you are experiencing 60-80 psi? Do you have a pressure adjustable regulator for your house? The link gives standard looking pressure regulators for homes with various pressure problems.
http://www.atlantisplumbing.com/water-pressure-regulators.php
Does our house use one of these?
What is the height difference between the creek and the garden? As you can read, more info is needed. Aloha

o
RE: keep blowing pressure reducers and drippers on 1/4 inch line

Your pressure is too high for the regulators you are using. You need one that can withstand the higher pressure going in to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here