Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'short' flashing on irritrol clock?

Posted by igmu89 (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 2:52

New to the electrical part of all of this so speak s/l/o/w/l/y if you reply...lol...anyway, my 24 station Irritrol timer is flashing "short" on station 2. I found the solenoid was not working and replaced it. The clock still flashes "short". I've pulled the power and the battery, no no avail. Is it the clock or bad wiring? What do I look for? how the hell do I find it? I have one of those portable solenoid actuators and the new solenoid pops when using that. I also have an amplifier?? as well, but have no clue how to use it. (this is what I bought, actually http://www.irrigationdirect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_43_66.jpg) ....That's about as far as I know how to go. I checked the wires and they are not corroded or broken. What now? the thought of replacing that clock scares the daylights outta me lol....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'short' flashing on irritrol clock?

ig,

Did you check any screw on wire connections between the solenoid and the controller. The only thing left if all connections are left is using a continuity meter to check that the wire to the solenoid has conductivity. This is in essence what the control did to display the "short" message but it may be incorrect. Also try a full reset of your controller if you don't find a disconnect somewhere with the continuity meter. GL Aloha

o
RE: 'short' flashing on irritrol clock?

If the coil in question works when you use a activator and none of the connections at the valve are touching each other try this. Disconnect the coil completely. Don't let the wires touch anything, just have them up in the air in the ground/valve box. Activate the zone and see if you get the same results. This will eliminate the coil as the issue. If you still get the short signal switch another set of wires (say zone #1) to Zone#2 and see if you get the same short signal. If you do then you have a bad clock. If you don't and the short signal moves to Zone #1 then you have wires in the yard that are touching. This can be hard to locate depending on how far it is between the clock and the valve. Might need a professional to help at that point. Using tracing equipment a good pro can locate your short.

Good luck,
Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here