Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drip irrigation setup for tomatoes question...

Posted by bgaviator 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 6:37

I am getting tired of the rubber soaker hoses I've been using the last two years always developing pinholes in the tubing. I am considering this year for my tomatoes running a drip emitter type system this year.
I am thinking about running a main 1/2 inch line across the front of the tomato bed, then having 1/2 inch lines running down each side of each row of tomatoes. I thought about having one, .5 gph drip emmiter on each side of the tomato plant. I already have a timer that I can use.
Does this sound like a good way to go? What is the suggested timing/frequency on using a drip system like this? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drip irrigation setup for tomatoes question...

bg,

Perfectly fine. I use adjustable emitters. Just see what the system does and adjust. The plants need less when young(small root system) and more as they mature(large root system). You could actually put emitters on both side of the plant to get coverage faster. All depends on how long you run your irrigation. Trial and error is the best method. Aloha

o
RE: drip irrigation setup for tomatoes question...

I don't see the need for a line down each side. I use one line down each tomato row, with an emitter near each plant. The plant will send out enough roots to take up the water it wants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here