Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tools for working with glavanized pipe and brass sprinkler heads

Posted by don326 FL Zone 10 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 8:08

2/3 of my sprinkler system is galvanized steel, which make maintenance difficult. I replaced the galvanized steel with PVC and that's easy to maintain. Watching the repair guy, it seems the only thing he has that I don't is the right tools! Things that would be helpful include a wrench for removing the brass sprinkler heads and the nut in the middle, a 1/2" pipe threader, and a little tiny wire for cleaning the openings. I have searched the forum and the web for references to these sorts of tools to no avail. Does anyone know where I can get these things? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tools for working with glavanized pipe and brass sprinkler he

Try your local irrigation supply, plumbing supply, or big-box home improvement. I think the small brush you're referring to may be a plumber's brush used for cleaning copper prior to soldering (at least that's what we use for cleaning metal threads).
Other things you'll find handy are PVC compression couplings and tees, 2 pipe wrenches (14 in.), a pair of slip-joint pliers ("water pumps") and pipe dope (teflon tape or paste).
A lot of old systems around here are also galvanized - we convert to PVC when and wherever possible, using male or female adapters or compression.

o

I find a dental pick type of tool, commonly available at hardware or hobby stores, is great for cleaning out nozzles and heads.

o

the tools you need are inthe tools aisles at your local home improvement store. you need 2 monkey wrenches, one to hold the pipe and one to turn the connector. any wire brush will do, and then a regular crescent wrench for the brass.

unless you plan on cutting and putting threads on the pipe, the pipe threader would be better to rent as needed. i have one at home that does from 1/2" up to 1 1/4", but the ONLY reason i have it is that it was given to me. i have never used it in the 4 years i had it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here