Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Start-Up Question

Posted by rmo87 (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 8:45

For some reason, I can not figure out how to open my sprinkler system this spring.
This is my second year, but last fall had a different company winterize.

The problem lies with getting water to the pipes. Last year, I simply turned the main water valve counter-clockwise--I could hear the water pass through, and I was set.

This year, no such luck. In fact, the main water valve was left open. I'm definitely no expert, but how many different ways to winterize exist? Both valves on my backflow preventer are open. What to try first (I have tried contacting the company, but want to avoid a 'service visit')? Thanks in advance! --Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Start-Up Question

Mo,

They should be able to tell you what they shut off without charging you, if they want your business again next year. If you have to, tell them that. Let's look at the worst case scenario. The guy that winterized your system moved to warmer climates is no longer available. If your house has water there is a valve that they turned off before your irrigation main shut-off or backflow preventer. I would think they would have asked you where to turn off the water before doing so. Describe your water line as you trace the irrigation main back to your house and then inside. Is your system coming off an outdoor faucet? Is the faucet turned on? Is your system coming off the main house line with a tee before the main water line goes into the house? There is usually another main gate valve or ball valve that is close to that tee connection point in a valve box. Aloha

o

OK, now I believe it is actually an electrical problem. I am having the company that installed my system come out on Monday, since I am just at the end of the two-year warranty.

o

Mo,

I think you are on the road to recovery and a green thumb. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here