Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Using Creek Water Safe

Posted by mdsmd (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 10:06

Hello, My wife waters our small vegetable garden using water from a small creek that runs through our property. Has anyone considered the question of the safety of doing this? I would be greatly appreciative of anyone who could provide insight into this.

Thank you!
MS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Using Creek Water Safe

You could have the water tested and find out if there is contamination of some kind. These days, there is a wide variety of things in water: excess farm chemicals, toxic waste from old mines or manufacturing upstream, parasites like giardia and cryptosporidium from wildlife and livestock, etc. Some (like lead and other heavy metals) can be absorbed by the plants, others could be just surface contamination (like parasites).

Call your local Cooperative Extension Service office, and talk to them about what you want to know. EXACTLY what you want to know. Don't just say you want to have your water tested, or they'll charge you about $8 and just do a bacterial or coliform test. If they don't do it, they will know who does. Then talk to THEM about what you want to know.

If the water needs some sort of purification, ask if a simple slow sand/charcoal filter would take care of most of it. They will know what these are, as many municipal water companies use them. You can make a simple one yourself fairly cheaply, I think. Just google 'slow sand filter' and consider including a couple of 3-4" thick bands of charcoal embedded within the sand.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Cooperative Extension Service offices

o
RE: Is Using Creek Water Safe

Sue, Thanks for your input and the link. Honestly I had forgotten all about asking the extension service, I haven't ever had a chance to use them. It's all just common sense .... glad to have some of yours to use as well!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here