Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaker hose question

Posted by chrisandjenny2003 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 11:37

I just planted some new Silver thorn aka ileagnus bushes. I have been watering by hand with a hand held nozzle that I can shut on and off between bushes. I want to buy a soaker hose to place along the back of these new bushes to water them, but my question is this: How long do I water to get the ground good and saturated as they need to be? or how can I check to make sure I am watering enough with a soaker hose? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaker hose question

...or how can I check to make sure I am watering enough with a soaker hose?

Yea, you want to be sure to water new plantings deeply. I would continue to do it by hand, but you may get a better answer on the shrubs forum.

o
RE: Soaker hose question

chrisandjerry, you can find out how much water you use now by running the hand held waterer into a five gallon bucket and timing how long it takes to fill it. Calculate a gpm that the hand waterer delivers. Then time how long you use it to water the Eleagnus plants. You can now calculate how many gallons you use per watering (time in minutes times gallons per minute).
Most soaker hoses are rated in gpm per foot or similar measure. You decide on the length needed, multiply by the manufacturer's rating and divide by the gpm. This will tell you how long you must run the soaker hose to deliver approximately the same amount of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here