Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venusbonsiafly

Pumps for use with misting systems?

venusbonsiafly
17 years ago

Hello every1:)

I've got a bed full of pitcher plants, venus flytraps, several varieties of local moss these require filtered water so this is complicating my adding a misting system. I have 2 55 gallon drum and to this point sciphining into a bucket is my current method. What I'd like 2 do is put a pump into one of the barrels, possibliy link the barrels with two bulkheads and a length of hose. Pump the water eight feet up into the attic, run the hose 25 feet across the attic and eight feet down to the bed then 15 feet across the bed for a total of about 60 feet. I plan on some low flow wide angle mister heads, probably about five of them.

Now what I was wonderin was ifin I need one of them fancy piston or diaphram pumps I keep seein on these mister sights for ungodly amounts of money, OR if I can get by with a good old 1/2 hp 20 GPM 1350 GPH industrial sump pump from good old harbor frieght?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45019

Using 1/4 inch tubing shouldn't that be enough water for misting or do these pumps lack PSI? Will it just make a drip? Is the diaphram or piston action required to get the psi for misting?

I've never used an irrigation system before and any help would be much appriciated. Thank you

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus