Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clinresga

Battery timers unreliable, need suggestions

clinresga
10 years ago

I am a big fan of drip systems and currently run 5 separate systems in 4 separate locations. I have always relied on battery timers to run these but am totally frustrated by lack of reliability. I have used Orbit 62001's (2 out of 3 have died), the Dig/Galcon 9001 (1 out of 3 failed), and a Galcon 1100L flip open timer (one, so far still working after one year).

The problem appears mainly to be the mechanical valves, which eventually freeze in the closed or (worse) open positions. I am careful to drain them, remove batteries, and store indoors for winter. I've searched this forum and not seen much help, and indeed several posts make reference to a six year warranty on Orbit timers, but as of today, the Orbit website lists it as one year, which is about what I'm getting out of them.

Is there any kind of higher end/"pro" device? Perhaps one that separates the valves from the electronic timer? I don't need fancy (typically watering 2-3 days per week one time each day) but do not want any manual input needed. Thanks!