Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brad_clear_lake

Design Question

bshudson
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to design a new irrigation system for my home and for the most part it's fairly straight forward. The area that's giving me fits is the irritating 2 ft strip between the street and side walk. The problem with my home is that we live on the end of a culdesac and the property line is an arc. Not overly sharp, but enough so that the general end strip and side strip nozzles would tend to water the sidewalk more than the grass. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to irrigate this area? I considered using some bubblers that had a 1 ft radius, but that would require about 60 heads so that idea is out. I can't replace the grass with hardscape due to HOA requirements either. I'm thinking my only solution is to waste water with over spray :-(

Thanks,

Brad

Comments (8)

• all_wet
    13 years ago

Per Texas law, any area narrower than 48" with concrete or structures on 2 sides must be watered with drip irrigation. And it must be on a zone unto itself.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

I am amazed that the State of Texas is now regulating down to such detail in our lives. I don't live in Texas but where I come from it is the local water companies that provide and enforce the water ordinances. What have your neighbors done with this strip? Aloha

• bshudson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

According to an irrigation company I had come out last year for a quote, the city I live in considers that portion of our lawn city property and we're not allowed to place any heads in there. I've been trying to find the office to send my bill for maintaining city property for the last 4 years, but no one at city halls can tell me where that is. Most of the people here just spray over the side walk into that strip.

I wasn't aware of the drip system law. How do you mow around a drip system?

Thanks for your replies!

Brad

• all_wet
    13 years ago

Subsurface drip irrigation lines such as Netafim with triangular spacing of the emitter holes.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

bshudson,

I am with you. Most Cities own that strip, but only as a utility easement and the right to come and rip it up if they feel like it. So they don't accept accept maintenance responsibility. Heck, they don't even return it to the way it was when they rip it up. I guess Texas is tired of hearing people complain about replacing the irrigation in the strip when they have to do a repair. Just make an ordinance to prohibit irrigation. Wow, I got an idea for them. Prohibit any living plant material in that space. Done deal, just bare dirt or gravel allowed. I feel your sanity. JMHO. Aloha

• bshudson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information. I can see needing a drip type irrigation system for the Middle East or the western part of the US, but here in SE Texas we pretty much live in a swamp. It's not a one size fits all scenario, but I guess I have to do what I have to do.

Thanks,
    Brad

• bshudson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,

I've been reading up on the Netafim system and I have a question. Is it required to have a air/vacuum relief valve and a line flushing valve ? The area(s) I'm irrigating are very small (each section is 2'x30' separated by sidewalk) and if I have to install a valve box for each valve, it'll look pretty bad as they'll be right out front and in plain sight. Seems like for such a small amount of turf, I could simply run a loop of tubing spaced about 18 inches apart and connect both ends to the source PVC. This way the line can be pressured from both ends. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,
    Brad

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Brad,

I believe the vacuum breaker is code in all irrigation systems connected to a potable water supply. The drain valves are mainly for less clean water supplies. It helps get rid of particles that may plug up the emitter holes. The connection at both ends doesn't make a difference in the performance of the drip. Go for it. JMHO Aloha

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?