Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install a booster pump or replace valves - or both?

Posted by maire_cate 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 14:58

Our irrigation system was installed in 1996. The last 2 or 3 years the water coming out of the irrigation heads has diminished drastically yet the water pressure inside the house is fine. The township came out to the house to check my water pressure at an outside hose bib and said that it's 65 which they consider better than average.

My irrigation contractor said that my valves are wearing but that it would be cheaper to install a booster pump rather than replace all the valves. My concern is that I'll install a booster pump and then he'll tell me I still need new valves.

Does this sound reasonable to those of you with more experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install a booster pump or replace valves - or both?

MC,

Doesn't sound right to me. The purpose of a booster pump is to boost the pressure. You pressure is very good. Valves don't wear out, but they can malfunction over time and restrict flow. Check your flow rate from your hose bib. Has the decline been slow over time or drastic say within 6 months. Pipelines can restrict flow over time(calcium build up) but not within 2 years. Can you determine if the flow has diminished unevenly from zone to zone? If the flow is across all zone, I would replace the hose bib valve or a mainline shut-off valve. Do you need help determining flow rates for your mainline and zone areas? This investigation is what your contractor should do before suggesting a booster pump. JMHO Aloha

o
RE: Install a booster pump or replace valves - or both?

Thanks Lehua. Your suggestions make perfect sense. The irrigation contractor hasn't checked the pressure at the hose bib - he simply observed the reduced spray from the irrigation heads. And it does appear that the flow has diminished across the zones - it's more obvious on the larger heads that are designed to shoot the water 20' and less obvious on the little ones that only spray in a small circle. When I asked him how much a pump would cost he said $1000.00.

We did replace our mainline shut-off 6 years ago and installed a ball cock valve which dramatically increased the pressure. I've never seen the water shoot so far in our irrigation system. It worked great for another year or two then began to dimish.

I will speak with him this week and get more information. But I'll also call my regular plumber and explain the problem and ask his advice - and ask for a quote on a booster pump just to compare prices. It might even be prudent to have a different irrigation company come out to assess the problem.

Thanks again Lehua.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here