Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No flow from irrigation Pump. What can be done?

Posted by maceecase KS (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 15:30

I installed about 1000' of 2" pipe from my pond to my garden on my farm.

I bought a Goulds GT15 1.5hp irrigation pump and it is right by the pond. When I turn it on, it pushes a lot of water. About 400' from the pump was not connected at one time (to test the pump) and it pushed tons of water. I since sealed that up and installed a faucet there.

So, it goes about 600' more feet and then.... NOTHING. It pushes water out but at no real pressure or amount. If I close both faucets for a bit, when I turn the far one on, it'll spit out nicely but that quickly fades away.

Ok, so I know the questions that are coming. How much feet of head? I tried measuring based on GPS on my phone but I don't feel that was too accurate.

But, the feet head is like 10' to 20' above the pond and about 600' in, it dips down about 20' to 30', then back up at the faucet to about the same grade as the pond....

I was hoping that volume would help compensate for pressure, etc. I laid 2" pipe throughout and the faucet is 3/4".

I guess what I'm hoping for is that somebody could offer advise. Should I buy a booster pump and install at that 400' mark? Would it make a difference?

PS: All but the first 400' from the pump to first faucet are buried already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No flow from irrigation Pump. What can be done?

mac,

Do pressure readings at the 400' faucet, at a new faucet or tee at the 700' mark and at the end. Does your pump have a pressure meter at its outlet? This will give you a graph of pressure loss along the length of your pipe. A booster pump making up the pressure loss would be what's needed. Another way would be to run another two inch line along the first and reduce the flow rate of both pipes thus reducing the velocity in the pipes which is what is causing the large pressure loss through internal pipe skin friction. Also check any valves in the system that may be causing a restriction. Valves, tees and bend produce on their own pressure losses. If your pipe is too small for the flow rate you may experience water hammer which cause pipe brakes and fitting failures. First step is checking your pressure loss along the pipe. GL Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here