Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwendig

To irrigate or not??

mwendig
11 years ago

I live in Northern NY so we typically do not have drought situations etc. I am planting 1/2 acre with a little bit of everything. 1/4 acre sweet corn, 1/8 acre of pumpkins and squash and the remainder is 50 foot rows of tomatoes, beans, peas cabbage, broc, herbs, spinach, lettuce, potatoes, strawberries etc etc.

In the past I have had smaller gardens and gone on the simplicity method simply watering when I planted and any really dry periods. With the larger size I am considering different options. The garden is a good distance from the house which is on public water so I do not want to run hoses out to it. There is a hand dug well and I have a 2 inch gas pump to get water out of that.

Question is will I notice a large difference in quality/quantity if I setup a T tape drip system? If so how often do you need to run the T tape and for how many hours? How much water will that require? It would be gravity flow and approximately 1500 feet not including the corn and the squash. Is it worth the time/expense? I also use the rototiller in between rows I have heard that can be an issue? Should I look to T tape the corn too or run the pump for sprayers??

Comment (1)