Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickd59

low yield well with storage tank

rickd59
12 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm setting up an irrigation system for a 0.5-acre lot with conventional landscaping (lawn, etc.) as well as a large vegetable garden and about 50 grape vines. The lot has an irrigation well that produces only 5

gpm and I want to add a 1500-3000 gal cistern with a booster pump for extra storage. I plan to run the submersible well pump at night to fill the cistern and the booster pump during the day to irrigate. The cistern will be located about 100' away from the well and 4-6' higher in elevation. The booster pump will be located at the well. The system will only be used for 6 months/year, during the dry season in California.

I'm putting the trenches in now but won't be installing the cistern until next winter. I'd appreciate any advice on the design. For instance, I had considered laying only one 1" PVC pipe for carrying water back and forth from

the cistern and using electric valves at either end to control where the water is flowing. Also, what type of wire should I put in the trench now for float valves and other controls at the cistern? How would I calculate the

smallest size pressure tank for use with the booster pump? The pumps will be running off a 240V circuit that I'm bringing from the house to the well, a 50' run.

Thanks.

Comments (2)