Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blrun26_2

Recommended Way to Optimize Pump/Tank Irrigation System

blrun26.2
11 years ago

Good afternoon all! I am looking for some advice on the best approach to my irrigation system which has the following features:

3/4 Dayton Pump - pumps 10 gpm at 55 psi without shutting off.

40-60 psi Square D Pressure Switch

5 Gallon Storage Tank (40-60 psi) pressurized at 36 psi.

So, here's my question. It seems the optimal point for my pump is to run 10 gpm at 55 psi. Obviously better to keep running than cycling off and on I would imagine. The issue I have is my brother designed my irrigation system where each lawn zone runs 3-4 gpm and then I'll also have a drip system for shrubs trees. the problem is running the pump at such a low gpm will cause it to cycle on and off every 20-30 seconds or so because my pressure builds to the shut off of 60 psi and because my tank only holds 5 gallons. I believe this is known as short cycling.

A couple questions, what is considered "normal" cycling for a pump of this nature, ie. once every minute, once every 2 minutes? Obviously to control the cycling i could get a larger tank which I don't want to do.

Is it better to just design the lawn sprinkler system so it runs close to 10 gpm per zone? And continue to use the pressure tank for the drop system in which case the tank should be able to operate on its own?

What about a cycling stop valve? Is this a good application for my scenario?

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County