Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattyb1

Irrigation questions

mattyb1
16 years ago

I need to figure out how to irrigate my lot which is about 80-90 feet wide and goes down a rather steep slope about 500 feet. I was planning on running a PVC main all the way down along the property line. My water pressure is about 90 psi. What diameter pipe should my main be?

Then I was planning on installing those electronic timer activated valves at regular intervals all the way down the hill so I could tap in and plumb stations as I landscape down the hill. How far a run can the low voltage timer wires be run down the hill to the valves and still function? I figure running a lot of wire is more efficient than constructing a huge manafold w/ many valves all at the tope of the hill and having to run a PVC pipe all the way down for each and every station.

What timer product should I use? I have no experience with these products, I've always been a "turn the valve with your hand" or "waive the hose around" kinda guy.

Also, off topic, is broken up concrete a good filler? Is it basically like rock or does is change the pH of the soil adversely?

Thanks in advance.

-Matt Bradford

Spring Valley, CA (Z10B)

Comments (2)