Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Attaching a drip system to a garden hose?

Posted by sweetwilliam89 5b (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 19:03

My wife and I have a drip irrigation system that we attach to the faucet from our house. I'm renting some additional land and they have regular garden hoses attached to their faucets. Is it possible to attach a drip irrigation system to a garden hose instead of to a faucet? I think the folk I'm renting from want to leave the hose attached to the faucet so the only way I can see to use a drip system is by attaching it to the hose instead of the faucet, but I may be wrong about that. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Attaching a drip system to a garden hose?

Yes, you can do that. I grow container tomatoes on the sidewalk at the end of my garden. I use a Rain-bird drip adapter.

Last year I attached it to the faucet. This year, I added an additional container very close to the faucet. That required too sharp a bend in the drip tube, and caused it to kink.

So, I cut a 3-4 ft. section of hose with M & F connectors to connect the Rain-bird filter/pressure adjusting thing to the faucet without requiring as sharp a bend. It is working great.

RE: Attaching a drip system to a garden hose?

Thanks for the info tdscpa when I think about the question it likley seems like a pretty basic question. But, not knowing too much about drip irrigation, I believe I've read a drip system can't handle the water pressure of water household water pipes without some sort of regulator and I didn't know if I'd be able to attach the regulator to a hose instead of to a faucet. (Don't know what might prevent from working, but didn't know if it would work.)

RE: Attaching a drip system to a garden hose?

It is true that drip systems are designed for relatively low water pressure and a regulator (and filter!) are often desirable or required.

Fortunately, regulators are available for either hose thread or pipe thread. Just pick the appropriate one for your needs.

RE: Attaching a drip system to a garden hose?

The Rain-bird faucet or hose-end drip adapter I mentioned above regulates the pressure so the drip emitters are not blown out of the tubing.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here