Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Hydrangea -Endless Summer

Posted by ncgardner 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 20:00

I have about 15 Endless Summer Hydrangea and each evening the flowers look wilted. The foliage is fine but all the blooms and buds look stressed. I have been watering them daily but I'm not sure this is the best thing for them. I read that too much water can keep hydr. from blooming as well the following year.

Has anyone had experience with this? They are in full sun but the card on them states they can go in full sun. Wonder if this is the problem??? I realize you don't think of Hydra. as being a full sun plant. I even went back and read it again. I'm in the Raleigh area and summer heat isn't even here yet. I hate to have to move all of them and redesign the whole yard. HELP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Hydrangea -Endless Summer

Hello, ncgardner. Hydrangeas can tolerate full sun if you live in the northern states. As you begin to move into warmer climates, some varieties will tolerate full sun and others will balk. When you reach the southern states like Texas and Florida, it becomes a no-no for all varieties. The recommendation from the Endless Summer Website (see the link below) is for Part Shade.

Newly planted and/or transplanted hydrangeas need more moisture during their first year because their root systems have not been established in their new surroundings. I suppose something similar could be said of hydrangeas planted in windy locations.

I can only assume that your plant label came from a nursery in the northern states where full sun is ok for them. Of the various types of hydrangeas, Pee Gees (H. paniculata Pee Gee) and Oakleafs tolerate full sun best (assuming you keep the soil moist).

A word of caution. Please be careful with all this daily watering. You may be adding to much water into the soil and hydrangeas like moist soil, not wet soil. You can confirm that water is needed if the soil feels dry when you insert your finger into the ground to a depth of 2-3 inches. Too much water can create root rot or make it easier to get fungal diseases.

I suggest you make the following test to tell if the plants are getting too much sun.... Water the plant in the morning and do not water again until the next morning (or unless you notice extreme wilting). Next, see how the plant is doing (a) late in the afternoon, (b) about 2 hours after the sun has gone down and (c) in the next morning.

If it appears to be wilting in the afternoon but recovers by morning, it is ok but you will need to monitor the soil humidity. If the plant is still wilting in the morning, then it is getting too much sun. If at any time during that test you notice extreme wilting, discontinue the test and add water (if needed) because it is getting too much sun.

Just checking.... I assume you have plenty of mulch? I have 3 inches of mulch extending 6-12 inches past the dripline on my Macrophyllas and my Oakleaf.

In case you decide to move the plants, choose an area that gets less than 6 hours of sun (the definiton of "full sun" is 6 hours of sun or more). I shoot for 3-4 hrs of sun here in Texas (dappled sun is best). The more sun you get (within reason), the more/better bloomage you get but, no hydrangea will thrive in full shade. Also, do not plant them directly under trees because the tree roots may be attracted to the moist area and may steal some of the water.

For more information on hydrangeas, go to this link:
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html

I hope that helps. Good luck, Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless Summer Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here