Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoover67

Overwhelmed and need to install drip irrigation!

hoover67
9 years ago

It seems as this season of my life is getting more "full" than I dreamed! After adding four children to my already medium/large family, I am finding that I cannot keep up with the watering. Normally, I enjoy the time I spend watering as quite time. Now with 11 kiddos, I need to streamline some things. Watering would be one of the best improvements. I have about 34 blueberry plants with lots of other bushes and flowers in my back yard. I would guess that the header line would be around 200 feet????? Anyway, can anyone point me in the direction of where to purchase the basic hardware. Do I start with a starter kit or jump in and purchase individually. Thanks for any advice/help that you can provide. My research time is limited too.

Comments (3)

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Wow, 11 kids. I can't imagine.

If it was me though, I'd start the drip system small, and learn both what works and what I liked. I did that with my container system. I bought a basic kit with digital timer (for just $33) and made myself not buy any bells and whistles until I had it up, running, and tuned. THEN I had a better idea about what I should do next season.

I still have a temptation to buy parts I won't use right away, but I fight that.

• prem925
    9 years ago

Micro sprinklers are your answer! I serve on the garden committee of an apartment building and I've installed 8 zones over the past 5 years. They are easy to install, fully customizable to your watering needs and fairly inexpensive. We have a mechanical timer on each zone that we set on for the desired duration and walk away. We used to spend 2-3 hrs. watering but those days are long gone. In addition to the convenience, these save water as you place the tiny sprinklers just where you need them and adjust the volume on each one. You can start with a basic kit like this one and expand as you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mircro-sprinkler irrigation kit

• Capecodirrigationguy
    9 years ago

First rule of irrigation
    1.Determine your working pressure and flow. gpm/psi

The worst mistake you can make is put down a ton of pipe and then have it not work.